Guide – Installing Windows 8 On The HTC Shift
If you are old enough to remember the great HTC Shift or even better you still have one, this will be of your interest. XDA member djwillis told us about a guide to install the Windows 8 preview on the Shift. According to the source, no part of the installation process is complicated, it mostly came down to installing the right drivers in the right order, so if you follow the instructions it should be ok.
You will need to consider:
– Wipe the Shift’s HDD. Don’t bother with an upgrade from Windows 7. Not worth the hassle
– You don’t mind manually reinstalling Windows Vista or Windows 7 when you decide 8 is not for you.
– You are well aware you are installing an unsupported pre-beta bit of software on your device, and the device is under MS’s recommended minimum specs.
– You understand not all the hardware is 100% supported and there may be driver issues.
– Make sure you have enabled WiFi using the Shift Control Panel before you start the install inside the old OS. If you don’t you may need to have a USB Ethernet adaptor before you can enable WiFi to get on the internet.
So, if you are going forward, please leave your feedback.
Originally posted by djwillis
[GUIDE] Installing Windows 8 Preview on the HTC Shift
This thread is to record comments/questions on a guide I have posted up on my site regarding the steps to get a fully working Windows 8 Developer Preview install onto the HTC Shift.
The process to get Windows 8 working (with graphics correctly setup etc.) is a little bit of a pain but nothing all that difficult. Especially if you follow the steps (usual rules, I made mistakes to save others the hassle )
The resulting install of Windows 8 running at 1024*600 is VERY usable , much to my surprise. Metro is actually quite nice on the tablet form factor.
The touchscreen is a little unresponsive round the edges but I suspect that is my device as it has never been very good.
Continue on to the original thread to find more information.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.