Honor View20 launches internationally with a 48MP and 3D ToF rear cameras and an in-display front camera
Honor’s latest flagship smartphone, the Honor View20, was announced late last month at an event in China. At an event in France, the company has announced their plans to sell the View20 flagship smartphone internationally in Europe, India, and other Asian countries. Honor’s View20 flagship Android smartphone has all the hallmarks you would expect to see in a late 2018 flagship smartphone, but the company has packed a few surprises that make the View20 stand out in early 2019. We went hands-on with the device at CES 2019 and highlighted the main features, which includes the 48MP rear camera joined by a 3D Time-of-Flight sensor, a 25MP front-facing camera placed in a 4.5mm in-display camera hole, an awesome V-shaped shimmer glass effect, and the powerful HiSilicon Kirin 980 system-on-chip. Let’s take a look at what the world is getting with the new Honor View20 smartphone.
Honor View20 Specifications, Features, Pricing, and Availability
Here are some of the highlights of the Honor View20:
- First smartphone to launch internationally with the 48MP Sony IMX586 with f/1.8 lens. They are able to cram 48MP into a 1/2 CMOS with a pizel size of 0.8μm. With the 48MP “AI Ultra Clarity” mode, the View20 will take several photos over 5 seconds and process the images to create one extremely sharp 48MP photo.
- 3D Time-of-Flight (ToF) sensor mounted on the rear. ToF sensors are used to measure depth. They record the time it takes light to travel from the sensor to the object and back. ToF sensors are commonly used for facial recognition, though Honor is using it on the View20 for features like 3D Shaping (making subjects look slimmer), 3D Motion-controlled Gaming (using the View20 like an Xbox Kinect sensor), and AI Calorie Counting (estimating the calorie count of food).
- In-display camera hole measuring 4.5mm in diameter, smaller than the hole in the Samsung Galaxy A8s. This technology lets Honor provide a nearly bezel-less design on the View20 without using a big notch. The hole houses a 25MP front-facing camera.
- Powerful camera modes including AI Super Night Shot, AI Zoom, AI Colour, Background Blur, and more.
- The View20 is powered by the latest 7nm HiSilicon Kirin 980 system-on-chip. The Honor View20 will be great for gaming with its cooling system and support for GPU Turbo 2.0. With a 4,000mAh battery and up to 8GB RAM, the View20 should be able to handle long gaming sessions with a lot of multi-tasking.
- Glass back with a cool V-shaped shimmer pattern that appears when looking at the phone from certain angles. The pattern is not as subtle as it looks in photos, but that’s not a bad thing because it looks great.
The Honor View20 will be available in the following colors: Midnight Black, Sapphire Blue, Phantom Red, or Phantom Blue. You’ll be able to get the View20 in the following configurations: 6GB RAM + 128GB storage or 8GB RAM + 256GB storage. The View 20 will go on sale in the following countries: France, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Finland, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Portugal, UAE, India, Belgium, Malaysia, Netherlands. Exact availability details in each country will be announced at a later date. In Europe, the 6GB RAM + 128GB storage models will cost €569/£499 and the 8GB RAM + 256GB storage models will cost €649/£579.
Honor also announced that Fortnite Mobile would be supported in 60FPS on the View20, though they didn’t give an exact date on when that would launch. They did show off a Fortnite skin that’ll be exclusive to the View20, though.
Honor View20 Review
Check out our review of the new Honor View20 over on our YouTube channel. We’ll be following up with more posts focusing on the View20’s camera, so stay tuned.
Lastly, here’s a table summarizing the specifications, features, pricing, and availability of the Honor View20 flagship Android smartphone.
|Design||In-screen camera (display hole), V shape color edge, Nano texture with aurora effect|
|Display||6.4-inch 19.25:9 IPS LCD manufactured by AUO, BOE, CTC, or LG*; 2310×1080 (398ppi), 4.5mm display hole
91.82% screen-to-body ratio
|Rear Cameras||48MP Sony IMX586, f/1.8 lens, 1/2″ CMOS size, 0.8µm, Quad-Bayer pixel binning, 78-degree angle
Sony IMX316* 3D Time-of-Flight (TOF) sensor
Video Recording: [email protected], [email protected]
Slow Motion: [email protected]
|Front Camera||25MP Sony IMX576*, f/2.0, 27mm
Video Recording: [email protected]
|Mobile Platform||CPU: 7nm HiSilicon Kirin 980 (2x ARM Cortex-A76 @ 2.6GHz, 2x ARM Cortex-A76 @ 1.92 GHz, 4x ARM Cortex-A55 @1.8 GHz)
GPU: Mali-G76 MP10
|RAM||6/8GB LPDDR4X @ 2133MHz|
|Ports||USB Type-C (3.1), 3.5mm headphone jack|
|Connectivity||Dual SIM, Dual 4G VoLTE, 1.4Gbps Cat. 21 LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, A-GPS/GLONASS, NFC
Link Turbo, IR blaster
|Battery||4,000mAh, 4.5V/5A fast charging (22W Super Charge 1.0)|
|Software||Honor Magic UI 2.0.1 (Android 9 Pie)|
|Pricing||6GB RAM + 128GB storage: €569/£499
8GB RAM + 256GB storage: €649/£579
|Colors||6GB RAM + 128GB storage: Midnight Black or Sapphire Blue
8GB RAM + 256GB storage: Phantom Red or Phantom Blue
|Availability||Europe and Asia: 17 countries
India: To be announced on January 29th.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.