How to Unlock Bootloader on Honor 8
Before you can root your Honor 8 or install a custom recovery, you’ll want to unlock your bootloader. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to get the unlock code for your device and how to use ADB to unlock your bootloader.
Backup your data first. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the data on your Honor 8.
Get your unlock code
- Go to this website and create an account.
- Go to Downloads > Unlock Bootloader
- Fill out the form with the S/N, IMEI, product code and model number
- Your unlock code will be shown on the same page, at the bottom of the form
Turn on USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
- On your Honor 8:
- Go to Settings > About
- Tap on Build Number seven times
- Go to Developer Options
- Check Enable OEM Unlock
- Check USB Debugging
Unlock VIA ADB
If you haven’t installed ADB yet, see this thread for instructions.
- Plug your phone into your computer VIA USB
- Type the command ‘adb reboot bootloader‘ and hit enter.
- Once in bootloader mode, type ‘fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]‘
- Follow the on-screen instructions
If you see this warning when your phone reboots, then you have done everything correctly.
We are working closely with Honor and several developers to make sure that there will be more development content for this device in the future.
For more Honor 8 content, check out the Honor 8 XDA forums.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.