How to Install the One-Handed Mode Application by XDA-Developers
One-Handed Mode is an application by XDA-Developers which lets you use your phone with one hand. Unlike similar applications that are available on the Google Play Store, our application does not require the use of root. However, it does require you to grant a special permission to it in order for it to work. That permission is called WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS and it can only be granted through the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) from your computer. We will walk you through how to grant this permission.
Video Tutorial by TK Bay
Set up One-Handed Mode Tutorial
- Open the Settings application on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on About phone.
- Look for Build number.
- Tap on build number 7 times until you see a message stating “you are now a developer.”
- Go back to Settings and now look for Developer options.
- Enter Developer options, then scroll down and find USB debugging.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your phone to your computer using your manufacturer provided USB cable.
- Pull down your notifications and look for the “USB charging this device” notification.
- Tap on it and change your USB connection mode to Transfer files.
- Follow the next steps based on your computer’s Operating System.
- Download the latest Platform Tools from Google which contain the ADB files.
- Extract the zip file onto your computer.
- Open the platform-tools folder.
- Hold shift and right-click in this folder to open up the context menu. Select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open command window here.”
- Continue to step 13.
- We strongly recommend using this automated installer script to install ADB onto your Mac or Linux machine.
- Open the Terminal application.
- Enter the following command:
- On your phone, you should see an Allow USB debugging? prompt. Tap on OK.
- Now re-enter
adb devices. This time you should see authorized next to the partial string of your device’s serial number.
- Now, enter this command:
adb shell pm grant com.xda.onehandedmode android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- If you do not see an error, then it worked. If you receive an error message, double check that you spelled everything correctly if you typed it in.
- Tap the checkmark button in the One-Handed Mode app!
- Enjoy One-Handed Mode by XDA-Developers!