Lawnchair 2 stable is now rolling out on the Play Store with tons of new features
Third-party launchers may not be as tightly integrated into the system as first-party launchers are, but they generally offer a lot more features than the stock launcher on any given device. Take Google’s Pixel Launcher, for example. It’s clean and beautifully designed, but there are only a handful of options to customize the launcher. In comparison, a third-party launcher like the popular Lawnchair app has dozens of features. You can stick with a more minimalist, Pixel Launcher-like experience or you can customize out the wazoo. The last stable update was version 1.2.1 back in July, and now the Lawnchair app has reached version 2 in the stable channel after months of beta releases.
Here are the highlights of the v2 update, per the team:
Lawnchair v2 Update Highlights:
- Adds Drawer Categories (Tabs & Folders).
- Introduces Adaptive Icon customisation.
- Enables integration with Sesame and Homefeeder.
- Adds Pixel Launcher’s At a Glance widget.
- Integrates with Android’s Recents page via QuickSwitch.
And here’s the full list of key features available in Lawnchair v2:
Key Feature List
- Adaptive Icons: Pick between 6 presets or easily create custom shapes—even for your favourite icon packs
- Blur: An adjustable transparency effect for surfaces
- Smart Appearance: Dark Mode turns on automatically to match system settings, your wallpaper, or the time of day
- Colours: A new colour picker creates palettes based on your wallpaper and offers precise tint control
- Custom Fonts: Apply fonts to selected areas—like titles and labels. Pick from dozens of free typefaces or add your own.
- Layout: Add or remove rows and columns—visually. Use Lock Desktop to prevent accidental edits.
- App Shortcuts: Customize icons, hide labels, and set swipe gestures.
- App Launch Transitions: Pick custom animations—like Blink or Slide Up—to show when launching apps from the Desktop and Drawer.
- Notification Dots: Stay updated with subtle alert indicators.
- At a Glance
- Contextual Data: See what you care about—like today’s weather, notifications, or events from your calendar.
- Icon Packs: Add custom weather icons to At a Glance.
- Style: Customize the Dock—from colour to size. Set the corner radius, change the opacity, and more.
- Page Indicator: Navigate around the Desktop without losing your place.
- App Suggestions: Your most-used apps, right below the Search Bar.
- App Actions: Contextual shortcuts to your favorite pages in apps—like directions home or your latest earworms.
- Hidden Shortcuts: Hide shortcuts you don’t need from the Drawer.
- Categories: Tabs & Folders help keep your Drawer tidy. And Smart Tabs group shortcuts automatically.
- Search & Plugins
- Search Bar: Find apps, websites, and contacts. The Search Bar changes shape to match Adaptive Icons.
- Sesame: Do even more with Search—instantly launch a show on Netflix, or quickly find chats in Messages.
- Feed: Google Feed and Homefeeder bundle updates into compact lists—a perfect addition to your morning coffee.
- Recents: Your customized Dock appears in Android’s Recents—launch your most-used apps, or swipe up to see all.
- Navigation Gestures: Customize swipe gestures on Android 9 and 10.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.