Magisk 18.0 released with new Manager app for better anti-root detection and built-in systemless hosts module
Magisk continues to be the go-to method to root several devices and to make /system modifications while still maintaining access to apps that rely on SafetyNet to detect root access and system modifications.
Magisk has now been updated to version 18.0 as a stable release. This version brings improvements to Magisk Hide, for which the process monitor now matches component names instead of process names. This in-turn allows Magisk Hide to target all processes spawned from the applications on the hide list. Magisk is also patching the procfs security vulnerability on all Android 7.0+ devices with this new version release, and it has now shifted to a new codebase based on C++ instead of the older C-based codebase. Magisk Manager is also getting an update to version 6.1.0 to fully support the new Magisk release.
The full changelog for the v18 release is as below:
- [General] Migrate all code base to C++
- [General] Modify database natively instead of going through Magisk Manager
- [General] Deprecate path /sbin/.core, please start using /sbin/.magisk
- [General] Boot scripts are moved from <magisk_img>/.core/<stage>.d to /data/adb/<stage>.d
- [General] Remove native systemless hosts (Magisk Manager is updated with a built-in systemless hosts module)
- [General] Allow module post-fs-data.sh scripts to disable/remove modules
- [MagiskHide] Use component names instead of process names as targets
- [MagiskHide] Add procfs protection on SDK 24+ (Nougat)
- [MagiskHide] Remove the folder /.backup to prevent detection
- [MagiskHide] Hide list is now stored in database instead of raw textfile in images
- [MagiskHide] Add “–status” option to CLI
- [MagiskHide] Stop unmounting non-custom related mount points
- [MagiskSU] Add FLAG_INCLUDE_STOPPED_PACKAGES in broadcasts to force wake Magisk Manager
- [MagiskSU] Fix a bug causing SIGWINCH not properly detected
- [MagiskPolicy] Support new av rules: type_change, type_member
- [MagiskPolicy] Remove all AUDITDENY rules after patching sepolicy to log all denies for debugging
- [MagiskBoot] Properly support extra_cmdline in boot headers
- [MagiskBoot] Try to repair broken v1 boot image headers
- [MagiskBoot] Add new CPIO command: “exists”
Magisk Manager v6.1.0
- Introduce new downloading methods: no longer uses buggy system Download Manager
- Introduce many new notifications for better user experience
- Add support for Magisk v18.0
- Change application name to “Manager” after hiding(repackaging) to prevent app name detection
- Add built-in systemless hosts module (access in settings)
- Auto launch the newly installed app after hiding(repackaging) and restoring Magisk Manager
- Fix bug causing incomplete module.prop in modules to have improper UI
The new updates to Magisk and Magisk Manager can be downloaded from the Magisk XDA thread.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.