Magisk v21 and Magisk Manager 8.0.0 released with Android 11 support, app redesign, and much more
Magisk by XDA Senior Recognized Developer topjohnwu is inarguably the most popular root solution for Android devices. With Magisk, rooting your Android device is as simple as flashing a .zip file in a custom recovery like TWRP and installing the Magisk Manager app. But because of the modifications it has to make to allow for systemless-root, Magisk needs to be updated to be compatible with every new Android release. Now that Android 11 has started rolling out to some devices, topjohnwu has released Magisk v21 and Magisk Manager v8.0.0 with support for Android 11, an app redesign, and much more.
The latest version of Magisk is designed to work with all devices running Android 11. However, according to replies on topjohnwu’s Magisk v21 announcement tweet, some users are facing issues with the latest build. Magisk v21 also doesn’t seem to work with several MediaTek-powered devices at the moment. If you’re interested in trying out the build on your device, you can download the latest version of Magisk and Magisk Manager from the link below and follow the instructions given in this post to root your device. In case you face any issues, you can file a bug report on the project’s GitHub repository. Check out the section below for a complete changelog of the latest Magisk and Magisk Manager builds.
- [General] Support Android 11
- [General] Add Safe Mode detection. Disable all modules when the device is booting into Safe Mode.
- [General] Increase post-fs-data mode timeout from 10 seconds to 40 seconds
- [MagiskInit] Rewritten 2SI support from scratch
- [MagiskInit] Support when no /sbin folder exists (Android 11)
- [MagiskInit] Dump fstab from device-tree to rootfs and force init to use it for 2SI devices
- [MagiskInit] Strip out AVB for 2SI as it may cause bootloop
- [Modules] Rewritten module mounting logic from scratch
- [MagiskSU] For Android 8.0+, a completely new policy setup is used. This reduces compromises in Android’s sandbox, providing more policy isolation and better security for root users.
- [MagiskSU] Isolated mount namespace will now first inherit from parent process, then isolate itself from the world
- [MagiskSU] Update communication protocol with Magisk Manager to work with the hardened SELinux setup
- [MagiskPolicy] Optimize match all rules. This will significantly reduce policy binary size and save memory and improve general kernel performance.
- [MagiskPolicy] Support declaring new types and attributes
- [MagiskPolicy] Make policy statement closer to stock *.te format. Please check updated documentation or magiskpolicy –help for more details.
- [MagiskBoot] Support compressed extra blobs
- [MagiskBoot] Pad boot images to original size with zeros
- [MagiskHide] Manipulate additional vendor properties
Magisk Manager v8.0.0:
- 100% full app rewrite! Will highlight functional changes below.
- Add detailed device info in home screen to assist user installation
- Support Magisk v21.0 communication protocol
- Support patching modern Samsung AP.tar