MediaTek announces the Dimensity 1000C debuting in the T-Mobile LG Velvet 5G
MediaTek on Thursday announced the Dimensity 1000C, the company’s newest 5G-enabled SoC for mobile devices. It’s the chip that will power the new T-Mobile LG Velvet announced by the carrier today. The new chip from MediaTek brings upper mid-tier performance at an affordable price, and its use in the LG Velvet marks the first time that a Dimensity chip is showing up on a device sold outside of China.
MediaTek believes the arrival of the Dimensity 1000C is a win for consumers, as it gives them greater choice. Here’s a breakdown of the chip’s specs:
- CPU: 4 ARM Cortex-A77 cores @ 2.0GHz + 4 ARM Cortex-A55 cores @ 2.0GHz
- GPU: 5-core ARM Mali-G57
- AI: 4-core MediaTek AI processing unit (APU 3.0)
- RAM: Up to 12GB LPDDR4X @ 1866MHz
- Storage: UFS 2.2
- Display: Full HD+ (2520×1080) @ 120Hz
- Video: MediaTek MiraVision with AI-PQ (artificial intelligence picture quality enhancements), SDR to HDR video playback,
- HDR10+ video playback
- ISP: 5-core ISP supporting up to 4 concurrent cameras, up to 64MP single camera @ ZSL, up to dual 32MP + 16MP cameras @ ZSL, AV1 hardware decoding support
- Modem: Integrated 5G modem with support for sub-6GHz frequencies (no mmWave). Wi-Fi 5 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac). Bluetooth 5.1.
- GNSS: Dual-band GNSS support
- DSP: Multiple voice assistant and trigger word support
- Fab: 7nm process
The regular MediaTek Dimensity 1000 has higher clock speeds in the 4 ARM Cortex-A77 cores (@ 2.6GHz versus 2.0GHz), a better GPU (9-core Mali-G77 versus 5-core Mali-G57), supports more RAM (16GB versus 12GB), and has a faster ISP (up to 80MP camera versus 64MP), among other differences.
The LG Velvet previously launched on AT&T (for $599) and Verizon (for $699) but starting September 10th, you can get the Velvet through T-Mobile in Aurora Gray or Pink White. The phone will cost $588 if purchased outright or $24.50/month over 24 months through a no-interest equipment installment plan. New and existing customers or small businesses with up to 12 lines can get the T-Mobile LG Velvet for up to half off through 24 monthly bill credits when trading in an eligible device or adding a new line.
Of course, since the phone has “5G” in its name and the Dimensity 1000C SoC has an integrated 5G modem, the T-Mobile LG Velvet supports the carrier’s sub-6GHz (600MHz low-band and 2.5GHz mid-band) 5G network. Incidentally, T-Mobile this week announced its mid-band 5G network was being rolled out to more than 80 new cities across the U.S.
T-Mobile LG Velvet Specifications
|Specification||T-Mobile LG Velvet|
|Dimensions and Weight||
|SoC||MediaTek Dimensity 1000C|
|RAM and Storage||
|Battery & Charging||
|Android Version||Android 10 with LG’s custom UI on top|