MediaTek Dimensity 800U-powered smartphones are coming to India next month
In August this year, MediaTek unveiled the Dimensity 800U mid-range 5G chipset. Over the last few months, the chipset has made an appearance in quite a few mid-range 5G smartphones, including the Redmi Note 9 5G, Realme Q2, Realme Q2 Pro, Realme X7, and Realme 7 5G. However, none of these mid-range 5G capable devices have made it to the Indian market so far. But that’s set to change soon, as MediaTek has announced that Dimensity 800U powered devices will be launched in India next month.
On the second day of the ongoing India Mobile Congress 2020 event, MediaTek announced that it will collaborate with popular smartphone brands to launch Dimensity 800U powered smartphones in India. According to an official press release from the company, the upcoming smartphones “will be launched in January 2021 and will be one of the first MediaTek powered 5G smartphones available in India.”
Although MediaTek didn’t reveal exactly which Dimensity 800U-powered smartphones will be launched next month, it will most likely be one of the devices mentioned above. In case you’re not familiar with the capabilities of the MediaTek Dimensity 800U SoC, here’s a quick rundown of its specifications and features:
- The Dimenstiy 800U is fabricated on a 7nm manufacturing process (TSMC’s 7nm FinFET).
- It features an octa-core CPU with 2 ARM Cortex-A76 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.4GHz and 6 ARM Cortex A-55 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz.
- The SoC also includes ARM’s Mali-G57 GPU and an independent AI processing unit (APU).
- It supports LPDDR4x RAM (up to 2,133MHz) and UFS 2.1-class storage.
- The chipset supports display at up to FHD+ resolution with a max refresh rate of 120Hz. MediaTek also claims that it supports HDR10+ video and a custom MiraVision PQ engine with additional HDR optimizations.
- The ISP on the chip supports up to 64MP image sensors and quad-camera configurations.
- It includes support for voice on wakeup (VoW), multiple trigger words and voice assistant services, and dual-mic noise reduction technology.
- Most importantly, the Dimensity 800U features an integrated 5G modem with support for Dual Sim Dual Standby (DSDS), sub-6GHz 5G on SA and NSA networks, dual Voice over New Radio (VoNR), 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC 5G-CA), and MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave technology.