Microsoft adds Virtual Desktop and Android TV support for its Remote Desktop app
A little over a week ago, Microsoft released a major update to version 10.0.7 of the Remote Desktop app for Android, introducing support for Windows Virtual Desktop, Android TV, and Microsoft Authenticator integration.
Here’s the full changelog for Microsoft Remote Desktop version 10.0.7 for Android:
- Implemented full support for Windows Virtual Desktop.
- Rewrote the client to use the same underlying RDP core engine as the iOS and macOS clients.
- New Connection Center experience.
- New Connection Progress UI.
- New in-session Connection Bar.
- Added support for Android TV devices.
- Integration with Microsoft Authenticator to enable conditional access when subscribing to Windows Virtual Desktop feeds.
- Enabled the transfer of connections and settings from Remote Desktop 8.
According to Microsoft, the new Remote Desktop app features a rewritten client that uses the same underlying RDP core engine as the iOS and macOS clients. The update also includes a new Connection Center experience, a new Connection Progress UI, and a new in-session Connection Bar. And, as mentioned, Microsoft has added support for Android TV devices, so users can browse their desktop from the comfort of their TV. Finally, Remote Desktop for Android now features integration with Microsoft Authenticator “to enable conditional access when subscribing to Windows Virtual Desktop feeds.”
Microsoft’s updated app for Android is available now in the Play Store.
If you prefer using the older version of the app (version 8.1.80), Microsoft is keeping the legacy version alive as “Remote Desktop 8” on the Google Play Store. This is the same Play Store listing as the first version initially released in 2013.
Read This Next
The OnePlus 8 Pro drops another $50 at Amazon, bringing the price down to $750!
Best Buy’s Tile Smart Tracker Cyber Monday sale will make sure you never lose your stuff again
Samsung’s amazing Black Friday deal on the Galaxy S20 FE continues, with prices starting at just $140
The Best Black Friday Weekend Tech Deals: Save $150 on the iPad Pro, pick up a phone sanitizer, and plenty more!