Motorola Brings Android Oreo to the Moto Z, Z2 Play, G5, G5S and More in Australia and New Zealand
There are lots of manufacturers in the smartphone industry, and they all have slightly different software release schedules. Some, like Samsung, issue major firmware updates relatively infrequently, while others, like OnePlus, are quicker to bring new versions of Android to their devices. Still others roll out big updates to lots of devices at the same time. Motorola’s one of them, and this week, the Moto Z, Moto Z2 Play, Moto G5, Moto G5S, and other smartphones in the company’s roster started receiving an update to Android 8.0 Oreo.
The update, which is about 1.1GB in size and limited to Australia and New Zealand right now, includes Android Oreo features like Autofill, Smart Text Selection, Notification Dots, and battery life improvements. The Moto X4 is getting additional improvements in the form of better camera performance and picture-capture speeds, Android’s December 2017 security patches, unspecified bug fixes, and a reduction in the amount of storage used by system files by up to 2GB.
Here’s the changelog for the general Android 8.0 Oreo update:
Motorola Android 8.0 Oreo Changelog
- Autofill your logins to favorite apps
- Faster speeds, longer battery life, and Smart Text Selection
- Picture-in-picture gives you a floating window letting you do more at the same time
- Notification Dots on your apps to alert you of something new
- Google Play Protect to keep you safe from malicious apps
- Further improved battery life*
- New emojis – One can express themselves in very many new ways through a fully redesigned emoji set which includes over 60 new emoji.
And here’s the changelog for the Moto X4’s Android 8.0 Oreo update:
Moto X4 Android 8.0 Oreo Changelog
- Camera improvements: improved performance and capture speed for photos with depth information
- Android security: includes the updates of Android security patches until 1 December 2017
- System storage: reduction of storage used by system files by up to 2GB
- Stability improvements: includes changes that fix bugs and improve the stability of your phone.
If you own one of the Motorola smartphones listed below, you can look forward to an Oreo over-the-air update appearing on your device soon.
- moto X4
- moto Z
- moto Z Play
- moto Z2 Play
- moto G5
- moto G5 Plus
- moto G5S
- moto G5S Plus
- moto G4 Plus
It’s hard to believe that just six months out from Android Oreo’s launch, it’s only been installed on 0.7% of active devices. We’re glad to see Motorola make a major push in this regard.