HMD Global announces the Nokia 8.3 global 5G phone, Nokia 5.3, and the Nokia 1.3 budget phone
The technology world continues to march on and today HMD Global announced a slew of new phones. The headliner is the Nokia 8.3 5G, the company’s first 5G phone. It also announced the Nokia 5.3 and the budget Nokia 1.3 (also the Nokia 5310 feature phone if you’re into that sort of thing). Let’s take a look at these latest Nokia devices.
Nokia 8.3 5G
HMD Global is a little late to the 5G game, but that’s not a bad thing. The company says waiting has allowed it to support a wide range of 5G bands from the start. It’s calling the Nokia 8.3 5G the “first truly global 5G smartphone,” which means it should eventually support 5G roaming across more countries.
5G aside, the other big thing that HMD is touting is the cameras. The Nokia 8.3 5G has four cameras arranged in a circular array centered on the back. The main shooter is 64MP, while the others are a 12MP wide-angle, 2MP macro, and 2MP depth sensor. There is also a 24MP selfie camera on the front in a hole-punch.
HMD talked a lot about the video capabilities of the cameras, especially the wide-angle camera. It can shoot video in 4K and in 21:9 aspect ratio. The Nokia 8.3 5G can shoot video in log format (similar to shooting RAW photos), which is great for people who like to edit videos after the fact.
The Nokia 8.3 5G has a 6.81-inch FHD+ display and they’ve included an Iris display chip from Pixelworks. The “PureDisplay” has always-on HDR, enhanced picture quality, the ability to adjust brightness for ambient light, and “absolute color accuracy.”
Other specifications include the Snapdragon 765G SoC, 6/8GB of RAM, 64/128GB of storage, and a 4,500mAh battery. It has USB-C for charging, a headphone jack, a fingerprint scanner built into the power button, and NFC. It will ship with Android 10.
Nokia 8.3 5G Specifications
- 6.81-inch (1080 × 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 20:9 LCD screen with 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM with 64GB storage, 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB storage, expandable memory with miroSD
- Android 10
- Single / Dual SIM
- 64MP rear camera with Dual LED flash, ZEISS Optics, 12MP ultra-wide angle lens, 2MP macro and 2MP depth sensor
- 24MP front-facing camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, FM radio receiver, OZO audio
- Dimensions: 171.90 x 78.56 x 8.99mm; Weight: 220g
- 5G SA/ NSA / Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 18W fast charging
The Nokia 5.3 is a mid-range device and a follow-up to the Nokia 5.1. HMD has bumped it up from a single camera to a whopping four cameras: 13MP, 5MP wide-angle, 2MP macro, and 2MP depth sensor. That’s a lot of cameras for a phone in this category. There is an 8MP camera on the front in a waterdrop notch.
Some of the other specifications found in the Nokia 5.3 include a 6.55-inch HD+ display, Snapdragon 665 SoC, 3/4/6GB of RAM, 64/128GB of storage, and a 4,000mAh battery. It has USB-C for charging, a headphone jack, rear fingerprint scanner, and NFC. It will ship with Android 10.
Nokia 5.3 Specifications
- 6.55-inch (720 x 1600 pixels) HD+ 20:9 2.5D curved glass display
- Octa Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB / 6GB RAM, 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB
- Android 10
- Dual SIM
- 13MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, 5MP wide-angle camera , 2MP depth sensor and 2MP for macro
- 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 164.3 x 76.6 x 8.5mm; Weight: 185g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh with 10W charging
Lastly, the company announced the budget-friendly Nokia 1.3. This device has a 5.71-inch display, the Snapdragon 250 SoC, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a removable 3,000mAh battery. As you can tell from the specifications, this is an extremely low-end device. I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone with only 1GB of RAM.
The Nokia 1.3 has a single 8MP camera on the back and a 5MP camera up front. The one interesting thing about this device is the inclusion of Google’s new “Camera Go” app. This means the Nokia 1.3 can take advantage of Google’s photography algorithms and features like Portrait Mode. It applies the depth-of-field effect only using software and suggests ways to clear up space when storage is low.
Other specifications include microUSB for charging, a headphone jack, Google Assistant button, and no NFC. The Nokia 1.3 runs Android 10 Go Edition and HMD Global’s Juho Sarvikas says it will get Android 11 Go and Android 12 Go.
Nokia 1.3 Specifications
- 5.7-inch (1520 x 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 display
- 1.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 215 Mobile Platform with Adreno 308 GPU
- 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Android 10 (Go Edition)
- Single / Dual SIM
- 8MP rear camera with LED flash
- 5MP front camera
- 3.5mm jack, FM Radio, Google Assistant Button
- Dimensions: 147.3 x 71.2 x 9.35mm; Weight: 155g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, micro USB
- 3000mAh removable battery with 5w charging
Pricing & Availability
The Nokia 8.3 5G is expected to go on sale this summer. It will retail for €599 (~ $650) for 6GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage, or €649 (~ $695) for 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. It will be available in “Polar Night” blue/green.
The Nokia 5.3 will be available in April. Pricing will start at €189 (~ $205) for the 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage model. The phone will come in three colors: Charcoal, Cyan, and Sand.
Lastly, the Nokia 1.3 is very affordable and will be coming in April. It costs only €95 (~ $103) and is available in Charcoal, Cyan, and Sand colors.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.