HMD Global’s first 5G smartphone, the Nokia 8.3 5G, is coming to the US this fall
The Nokia 8.3 5G was announced a few months back as HMD Global’s highest-end smartphone in 2020 so far (although there are rumors floating around of a Nokia 9.3 PureView in the works, so this could very well change soon). The Nokia 8.3 5G is also the company’s first, and so far only, 5G-enabled smartphone. While it’s not powered by the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 865, it does have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G, which has been the common choice for mid-range smartphones with 5G support throughout the year. Not only this, but HMD Global also claimed that theirs was the first 5G device in the market to be compatible with all 5G bands globally. This device was previously planned for a global release following an announcement at MWC 2020 but plans obviously changed because of COVID-19 (MWC was canceled, the phone’s announcement was delayed, etc.) Now, HMD Global has announced that the Nokia 8.3 5G is coming to the United States very soon.
The Nokia 8.3 5G. Source: HMD Global
How soon, you might ask? The phone is launching sometime in the fall as per the company’s official announcement. For now, though, HMD Global has not given an exact release date and there is also a lot of information essential to the U.S. market that has not been disclosed right now, such as which carriers will have the phone, which retailers will sell it, what RAM/storage configurations will be available, and more. All of this information will probably be disclosed as we get closer to the phone’s release.
HMD Global is also increasing its focus on the American market; they have already had a presence in the U.S. for years, but the company plans to increase its presence as they’ve done in other parts of the world. The release of the Nokia 8.3 5G in the U.S. is only a part of this renewed push; Juho Sarvikas, the current Chief Product Officer of HMD Global, has been appointed Vice President of North America in order to work more closely with carriers and bring even more Nokia-branded smartphones to Americans.
This is all amazing news for Nokia fans in the United States. Are you excited about the Nokia 8.3 5G?
Nokia 8.3 5G Specifications
- 6.81-inch (1080 × 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 20:9 LCD screen with 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM with 64GB storage, 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB storage, expandable memory with miroSD
- Android 10
- Single / Dual SIM
- 64MP rear camera with Dual LED flash, ZEISS Optics, 12MP ultra-wide angle lens, 2MP macro and 2MP depth sensor
- 24MP front-facing camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, FM radio receiver, OZO audio
- Dimensions: 171.90 x 78.56 x 8.99mm; Weight: 220g
- 5G SA/ NSA / Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 18W fast charging