SHIELD Experience 8.0 brings Android Pie to the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV
Whenever we see a new update for the SHIELD Android TV, we have to praise NVIDIA for its steadfast support. The original NVIDIA SHIELD TV is going on 4 years old now and it still remains one of (if not the) best set-top boxes out there. NVIDIA updated the device to SHIELD Experience 7.2.3 in March and today it’s taking an even bigger step to Android Pie.
SHIELD Experience 8.0 begins rolling out to the SHIELD Android TV today and it brings the device up to Android Pie. This makes it the first Android TV box to get updated to Android Pie. NVIDIA updated the SHIELD to Android 8.0 Oreo about a year ago, which is actually around the time when Android Pie for Android TV was shown off. The new update brings the latest security patches, a redesigned settings menu, an improved setup process for new users, and more.
The improved setup process is a pretty big deal. If you’ve ever set up a new set-top box you know what a pain it can be. Using the remote to type out usernames and passwords is a big pain. The new setup process will move a lot of the heavy lifting to your phone. Autofill is also present with this update, which makes signing in to all your TV accounts and apps a lot more painless.
SHIELD Experience 8.0 also brings a new feature called “Match Content Color Space” for TVs that support HDR. It can automatically switch the display mode to deliver more accurate colors. NVIDIA also mentions the recent Hulu + Live TV update, Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound for audio up to 640 kbps with Netflix, Prime Video’s recent 4K cast upgrade, 20+ new games in GeForce NOW, and other enhancements for the SHIELD Android TV including:
- Updates “Display and Sounds” advanced setting into two easier to navigate menus.
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and bluetooth connected headsets.
- SHIELD TV remote app adds bluetooth assist for pairing and improves connection.
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps.
- Adds “Disconnect Bluetooth accessories” option to quick settings.
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality.
- Adds option to turn off USB power when SHIELD sleeps.
- Adds option to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID.
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.30
- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.43
- SHIELD remote (2015): v.1.36
The SHIELD Android TV update is rolling out starting today, so let us know if you receive it on your device!