Official TWRP recovery is available for the OnePlus 6, Huawei P20 Pro, and more
Before custom ROMs, kernels, and modifications for a device can be made available, users need a way to make backups in case things go wrong. Fortunately, that’s where TWRP comes in. The popular custom recovery makes it easy to modify your device without fear of messing things up too badly (so long as you make regular backups.) TWRP is now available for the OnePlus 6. Other devices including the Huawei P20 Pro, HTC Desire 830, Nubia M2, Planet Gemini PDA, and Vanzo A315 also recently gained support since our last post. Lastly, TWRP for the LG G4 has been unified for all variants.
TWRP for the OnePlus 6
Dees_Troy released the custom recovery for the device. Because of the A/B partition scheme and the lack of a dedicated recovery partition, the flashing instructions are a bit different than what you may be used to on previous OnePlus devices.
Here’s how you can install TWRP on your OnePlus 6:
- You’ll need to have ADB/Fastboot setup. If you don’t know what it is or if you don’t have it installed, see this article.
- First, you need to download twrp-installer-enchilada-3.2.1-0.zip directly to your device from here.
- Then download twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img to your PC from here (notice the file formats as the links are same).
- Now, power off your device.
- Hold Volume Up + Power buttons to boot into bootloader.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- Open up a command prompt.
- Navigate to your twrp-3.2.1-o-enchilada.img is located and perform
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img.
- Now you have booted into TWRP temporarily. To install it permanently, go into Install section and select the twrp-installer-enchilada-3.2.1-0.zip we’ve downloaded earlier.
- (Optional) If you previously rooted your device with Magisk, then flash Magisk again now.
- That’s it! Now you have TWRP installed on your brand new OnePlus 6.
MTP support is currently disabled in TWRP as it causes a kernel panic with stock kernel. Perhaps a future update will fix this issue.
TWRP for the Huawei P20 Pro and Others
You can download TWRP for the other mentioned devices at the links below. Installation instructions are also included on each page.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.