The OnePlus 5/5T’s final OxygenOS open betas bring Zen Mode
The OnePlus 5 and its revision, the OnePlus 5T, were both proof that OnePlus had now started doing things right when they launched back in 2017. After the OnePlus 3 and the OnePlus 3T’s successful run, OnePlus needed more hits to consolidate themselves as a more globally recognized brand, which they achieved with both of these devices. And one aspect they have managed to shine through recently is in the update front. The OnePlus 3/3T received updates to Android Nougat, Android Oreo and, more recently, Android Pie, which is a lot to say for a device launching with Android Marshmallow. Current users of the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T, though, may not be so happy to learn that OnePlus is rolling out what potentially could be the last beta update for these devices.
The biggest feature coming to 5/5T users in this update is Zen Mode. Zen Mode was introduced as one of the headlining features of the OnePlus 7 Pro, and its sole purpose is to make you use your phone less by providing you with a “break” of sorts, in which your phone locks down so you can go out and do other things. This feature is being introduced to the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5T as a standard OxygenOS feature, so you don’t need to go out and buy an all-new OnePlus 7/Pro to get it.
As for the rest of the update, it includes general bug fixes and improvements all around, as well as certain optimizations regarding the Weather and Phone apps. It’s worth mentioning, though, that this is not necessarily the last update for both of these phones: it just means that these will be the last beta updates. In fact, OnePlus has confirmed that both phones will be getting Android Q, and given how they managed to release Android Pie for the 3/3T, we’re not doubting this promise.
- General bug fixes and stability improvements
- Improved scrolling experience for switching between pages
- Weather cards for multiple cities can now be rearranged or deleted by tapping and holding on them
- Optimized user experience by allowing you to use this app while app permission to access GPS location is disabled
- Improved animation effects when switching between pages
- Improved experience with searching for contacts
- Optimized Quick Responses for declined calls and supported editing Quick Responses
- Zen Mode
- Added Zen Mode helping you keep away from the screen and back to life for 20 minutes