OnePlus’ 5G prototype smartphone will be shown off at MWC
If you have the privilege of being able to attend the 2019 Mobile World Congress (MWC), you’ll also have the chance to try out the full 5G experience with a prototype smartphone from OnePlus. In addition to checking out the new hardware, you’ll evidently get the chance to experience 5G data speeds with a fully-functional 5G network in place at the company’s MWC stand. OnePlus said the following about its MWC exhibit:
Connect with the OnePlus Community over 5G
OnePlus, at Qualcomm’s booth (Hall 3 Stand 3E10), invites all to connect and communicate with our community over a 5G network. Attendees will also be able to experience the capabilities of 5G gaming on a OnePlus 5G prototype. Keep an eye out for the limited-edition Qualcomm x OnePlus pin badge, only available at the OnePlus stand.
Here are a few things we either know about the upcoming OnePlus 5G phone or think is likely:
- (Know): It will have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 with the Qualcomm X50 modem, as both are required for 5G connectivity.
- (Know): It will be considerably more expensive than the usual OnePlus phone, possibly costing $200-$300 extra.
- (Know): OnePlus plans to release it at least in the UK by May 2019.
- (Know): It won’t be the OnePlus 7 and it’s not expected to sell in high volumes, but will serve more as a reference design to help engineers work through the nuances of the burgeoning 5G technology.
- (Think): the back could have a raised circular plate like recent Motorola Mobility models housing the rear camera lenses and possibly the mmWave antenna.
Given the wording of the above statement from OnePlus concerning its MWC exhibit, this prototype might also be a gaming-centric phone like the Nubia Red Magic Mars, the Asus ROG Phone or the Razer Phone 2. It’s interesting to note that gaming was mentioned instead of smoother streaming/faster downloading of movies and other high-definition videos. Also, it wouldn’t be the first time a OnePlus phone demonstrated its gaming chops.