OnePlus 8, LG V60, and Motorola Edge are listed as YouTube Signature Devices
YouTube Signature Devices is a list of smartphones that meet a set of standards that Google thinks allows the phones to deliver the best YouTube experience. We first learned about this program back in 2018 alongside the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9. At the time there were only 18 devices on the list. Since then, the list of YouTube Signature Devices has only grown in size, with new devices being added to the list from time to time. Now, five more phones have joined this elite club: the OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, LG V60 ThinQ, Motorola Edge, and Motorola Edge+.
To make the cut onto the YouTube Signature Device club, Google mandates that a device must ensure support for the following six technologies: HDR, 360° video, 4K decoding, high frame rate, the VP9 codec, and DRM performance. Google says it works closely with smartphone manufacturers to verify these phones meet the minimum performance standards. It’s only after a phone has passed through Google’s rigorous testing criteria that it earns the YouTube Signature Device badge.
Here’s a quick summary of each feature that phones are required to support:
- HDR: With support for High Dynamic Range (HDR), you’ll see videos that are richer in detail, with true-to-life colors. HDR capabilities allow a phone to display greater contrast, so you can see details of videos, whether that scene is shot in the dark, or bright light.
- 360° video: Immerse yourself in a new world with 360° videos, which have been recorded in all directions. Look up, down, or all around; with 360° videos you’re in control of the viewing experience, through on-screen controls or through a VR headset.
- 4K decoding: While some devices display 4K on their screens, 4K decoding ensures that you’ll see videos in high resolution and stunning clarity on VR, delivering riveting experiences.
- High frame rate: Enjoy gaming, sports, and action videos without missing a beat. Support for high frame rate (anything greater than 60 frames per second) means you get super smooth video playback.
- Next-generation video codecs: Watch high-resolution videos on YouTube while using up to 30% less bandwidth. 2019 Signature Devices are built with hardware VP9 profile 2 decoding, an advanced video codec technology.
- Digital rights management performance: From YouTube TV to rental movies, Signature Devices seamlessly stream premium content without disrupting your viewing experience.
If you own a OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, LG V60 ThinQ, Motorola Edge, or Motorola Edge+ or are planning to buy one, you can rest assure that these phones will provide best-in-class YouTube vide0-watching experiences.
Source: YouTube Device Report