Over 75% of Google Pixel users are on Android Pie

Over 75% of Google Pixel users are on Android Pie

Every time I begin to consider the latest flagship from Samsung or Huawei, I’m reminded why I love the Google Pixel: its fast Android updates. Every time there’s a new monthly security patch or major version upgrade, I download the factory image immediately to flash it manually, so I don’t have to wait for an OTA update. The number of updates Pixel owners get is second to none, with only Essential keeping up the pace. Google Pixel devices have so far received all major Android version updates since the first Pixel was released in 2016. Google knows that fast software updates are a big reason why people choose Pixel, and the numbers are proof of it.

According to Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President of Hardware at Google, over 75% of Google Pixel users are running the latest version of Android – Android Pie. That’s an impressive statistic considering that the rest of the Android ecosystem. (We’re wondering what the remaining 25% of users are doing!)

Google pushes out major version updates to 4 different Pixel devices and monthly security patch updates to 7 different devices total, something we would like to see every Android device maker copy. OnePlus faltered with the OnePlus 2 but have since stepped up their game with a commitment to 3 years of security patch updates and Android Pie for the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. HMD Global’s decision to stick with the Android One program means they’re committed to monthly security patch updates, and they’ve already announced Android Pie updates for all their devices. Samsung, Huawei, LG, and others do tend to update their devices, but it’s hard to tell when your device will be next in line. No Android device OEM has matched Apple’s level of support just yet, but with Project Treble, the situation is slowly but surely improving.

Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.