OxygenOS Open Beta 17/8 for the OnePlus 3/3T Brings Ambient Display 2.0 and Improvements to App Launching Speeds
OnePlus is ushering in the new month with a new Open Beta release of OxygenOS for its current flagship devices. The builds are labelled Open Beta 17 for the OnePlus 3 and Open Beta 8 for the OnePlus 3T. As usual, the builds come with the same changelog for both the devices.
The highlights of this update include changes to Ambient Display functionality in the form of Ambient Display 2.0. Users now need to double tap the display to exit out of Ambient Display and activate the screen. This will help cut down on accidental wake ups in instances like pulling the phone out of a pocket.
This release also brings with it a bump up in the security patch level as Open Beta 17/8 comes with a security patch level of 1st May 2017. You can read more about this security patch in our previous coverage. There are also claimed improvements in launching speeds of third-party apps, and optimizations to background and foreground process management.
The complete changelog for the update is as below:
- New additions:
- Ambient display 2.0
- Lift up display
- Sharing functionality for Shot on OnePlus
- All new OnePlus Font (Available in English, Chinese, and Japanese only)
- UI Improvements:
- Gallery v1.7
- Recorder v1.6
- Weather v1.7
- File Manager v1.7
- Other UI refinements
- Enhanced launching speed of 3rd-party apps
- Optimized management of foreground and background processes
- Other changes:
- Setup wizard adjusted to suit the style of Android 7.1
- Refined contact import process from SIM card, now supports dual numbers and an email address
- Automatically add corresponding country codes when making calls during roaming
- Updated Android Security Patch level to 1st May 2017
To try out the latest Open Beta, download Open Beta 17 for OnePlus 3 and Open Beta 8 for OnePlus 3T. Users who are already on the Open Beta branch will receive this update as an OTA. Do note that moving back to the Stable branch from Open Beta will involve a full clean flash.
What are your thoughts on the new Open Beta? Which feature are you looking forward to? Do you like the new UI changes? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!Source: OnePlus Forums