How to get the Pixel Launcher with overview text and image selection on any rooted Android 10 device
When Google switched up the Overview screen in Android P, they introduced a new feature called “Smart Selection.” Basically, switching the Pixel Launcher Overview to horizontal scrolling cards with high-resolution previews allowed OCR (optical character recognition) to work on them. You can literally select text and images from what is essentially a screenshot of the last state of the app. Unfortunately, Google limited this feature to the Pixel 2 and newer Pixel devices.
Of course, these limitations are easily broken if you’re willing to do a little modding. You can get text and image selection working on the Pixel Launcher Overview screen on any rooted Android 10 device with the QuickSwitch Magisk Module and a few other tricks. Thanks to XDA Senior Member remewer, if you already have a rooted ARM64 Android 10 device with Magisk (20.1+), the setup process is pretty simple.
- Install the Pixel Launcher APK (found here) but do not set it as your default launcher.
- Open the Magisk Manager and search for the QuickSwitch module, created by the Lawnchair team.
- Install the module and reboot your phone.
- Open QuickSwitch and select Pixel Launcher as the Recents provider. Reboot your phone.
- Set Pixel Launcher as your default launcher.
- Install the Device Personalization Services Magisk module found here, created by XDA Senior Member paphonb and modified by us. Reboot your phone.
- Open the Pixel Launcher settings and select Suggestions and enable both options.
- That’s it!
Pixel Launcher with Overview Selection on the OnePlus 6
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.