[Update: Rolling out] Samsung brings Galaxy Z Fold 2 features to Galaxy Fold in new update
Samsung is rolling out an update that will bring the latest features from the Galaxy Z Fold 2 to the original Galaxy Fold, including new productivity capabilities and camera experiences. Previously, Samsung updated its original foldable to Android 10 with One UI 2.1.
One of the biggest new features in the update is App Pair, which lets users launch up to three apps at once. Users can access App Pair via the Edge Panel, which can display 22 of your favorite apps.
Users can also choose their preferred split screen layout, so you can launch YouTube, a web browser, and an email in a Multi-Active Window. Speaking of which, Samsung said the arrangement of the Multi-Active Window layout can now also be done horizontally.
The update also now allows the Galaxy Fold to connect to Smart TVs wirelessly via Samsung DeX. With your foldable connected to a Smart TV, you can use it as a touchpad to control the second display with multi-finger gestures, Samsung said.
The Galaxy Fold is also gaining new camera capabilities, including Auto framing, which can track motion and automatically zoom in or out depending on how many people are in frame. There’s also a Capture View, Dual Preview, and Rear Cam Selfie, the last of which will allow users to use the rear camera for selfies while previewing the image on the cover display.
On the video side, Samsung’s original foldable is getting a new setting in the Pro Video Mode, allowing users to shoot 21:9 and 24fps video, along with more assistant functions and a Single Take feature.
Finally, the update will allow users to directly share WiFi passwords, making it much easier for guests to get connected when they visit your home. The update should be rolling out to the Galaxy Fold starting today.
Update: One UI 2.5 update rolling out to the Samsung Galaxy Fold
The update for the Samsung Galaxy Fold is now rolling out, bringing along One UI 2.5 as well.
Here is the full changelog of the update:
- October security patches
- OneUI 2.5
- The security of your device has been improved
- Samsung DeX
- Wireless DeX connection support.
- Wireless connection with TVs through Wi-Fi Direct (compatible with Miracast).
- Quick panel – DeX
- Usage of Samsung Smart TVs released after 2019 is recommended.
- Screen Zoom and Font Size options are supported to allow customization in various display sizes.
- If quality information on nearby Wi-Fi routers can be measured, this information will appear as Very Fast, Fast, Normal, or Slow.
- This feature can be turned on or off in “Network Quality Information Display” settings.
- When attempting to access a Wi-Fi router with a password, a newly added feature now allows the user to request the password of the Wi-Fi router from someone nearby who is saved in their contact list and has already connected to that router.
- The “Request Password” button will appear on the Wi-Fi password input screen when you can request a password.
- Always On Display
- Bitmoji Stickers are supported on Always On Display. (Clock style)
- Samsung keyboard
- A new feature has been added to the keyboard search feature that allows the user to search YouTube.
- The search function of the “Manage Input Languages” screen in the Keyboard Settings page has been newly updated to make it easy to find keyboard input languages that the user wishes to add or delete.
- The Pro Video feature has been enhanced.
- A feature has been added that allows the user to call a person who is saved as a pre-configured SOS message contact.
- A feature has been added that allows the user to send SOS location-sharing messages every 30 minutes for 24 hours.