Tasker 5.9.3 lets you read any sensor on your phone, automate sending messages with any app, and more
When it comes to automation apps on Android, Tasker is widely regarded as one of the best options out there. The app lets you create Profiles that automatically trigger based on certain conditions to execute Tasks, and it offers a wide variety of plugins that can help you automate pretty much anything on your Android device. What’s even better is that the app is updated quite regularly, and the developer keeps releasing new features to help you achieve even more with Tasker. Over the last few months, Tasker has received a couple of significant updates on the beta channel that have introduced new features like WhatsApp call automation, Do Not Disturb customization, Sensor actions, and more. Now, the developer is rolling out a major update for the app that brings most of these features to the stable build.
As per a recent blog post from developer João Dias, Tasker v5.9.3 has started rolling out to users on the stable channel and it includes quite a few interesting new features. Here are some of the most noteworthy changes in the latest Tasker update:
Tasker can now read any sensor on your phone
The update brings 2 new conditions and 2 actions to that app that will help you take advantage of any sensor on your phone. This feature was first made available in a beta release earlier this year in February and, with the latest update, is finally available to all users. Thanks to the feature, Tasker will now be able to scan your device for sensors, and it will let you automate tasks based on the sensor states.
The Any Sensor event and state will let you monitor the sensors and react to any changes, the Test Sensor action will get the current values from your smartphone’s sensor to help you use them in tasks, and the Sensor Info action will let you get information about the sensors themselves, including things like their name, how much power they consume, their max range, etc. With this feature, you’ll be able to do things like turn on the flashlight whenever you double twist your device.
Contact Via App
Tasker will now also let you automate sending text messages or make calls via any third-party app, like WhatsApp or Telegram. Check out the video linked below to see the feature in action:
Full Do Not Disturb control
Full Do Not Disturb customization was another feature that we covered in a beta update for Tasker earlier this year, and the feature has now finally made its way to the stable release.
With the feature, you will be able to change any of the Do Not Disturb settings within Tasker and customize things like who can message or call you, what notifications are allowed to show on the screen, and more.
Trigger Tasker via Links
The update also includes a nifty new feature that will let you trigger events in Tasker via links. As you can see in the attached video, you will now be able to trigger an event by simply opening up a compatible URL (like tasker://secondary?text=hello&other=hi) on your phone.
Along with the features mentioned above, the latest update for Tasker includes several other changes that you can find in the changelog section below. If you’re interested in trying out these features on your device, you can download the update from the Play Store link below or you can download the latest APK by following the source link.
Tasker v5.9.3 Changelog
- Added Any Sensor event and state and Test Sensor action and Sensor Info action.
- Added way to fully customize Do Not Disturb mode when turning it on with Tasker.
- Added List Dialog action that allows you to show a list of items, select one or multiple items from it and get the selection back to the task.
- Added Text Dialog action.
- Added Contact Via App: allows you to interact with your contacts via third party apps, like video-calling through Whatsapp or Skype, or navigating to them via Google Maps.
- Added Local Variable Passthrough options to the “Perform Task” and “Return” actions. If enabled will make all variables available in the other task.
- Allow Tasker Secondary app to be triggered by URLs like tasker://secondary?text=hello&other=hi where every parameter will be made available as a Tasker variable in the triggered task.
- Added action to Control WireGuard tunnels in the Tasker Function action.
- Added Event filter in File Modified event so that it can trigger only on specific file events.
- Added Wait For File Event function to Tasker Function action so that you can wait for example for a file to finish writing.
- Added Clear App Data, Enable/Disable App, Take Screenshot, Toggle SIM Card and Uninstall App to the ADB Wifi Helper.
- Added Termux Command and “Launch Assistant” functions to the “Tasker Function” action
- Added option to allow variable overwrite in Perform Task action
- When using the helper in the Custom Setting action it’ll find all the settings on your specific device instead of using a generic list of settings
- Added Query option to Do Not Disturb action
- Added option in Test Net to get your phone’s Wifi IP Address
- Allow for Secondary App Opened, Music Track Changed, BT Connected and Any Sensor events to add conditions based on their local variables right in the event configuration
- Allow File Modified event to work with variables in the File Modified field
- Added %evtprm() to the variable list in actions that are in a profile that has an event condition
- Made moving projects left and right easier by asking how many positions you want to move the project instead of having to move 1 by 1
- When importing a Task or Profile from Taskernet, Tasker will ask in which project you want to put the imported item
- Added Continue Task On Error option to Get Voice action
- Added Get Sims function to Tasker Function action
- Added Stop Vibration action to Tasker Functions
- Added option to continue on error in the Variable Search Replace action
- Added support for 5G in Mobile Network Type action
- Show Your First Project video tutorial if you have a lot of profiles/tasks and only 1 project
- Added Your First Project video to Tasker menu
- Added Reset Return Variable to Perform Task action so that the return variable is automatically unset before calling the child task
- Make state plugin variables available in exit tasks of profiles
- Added option to rename Task in the menu of the Task edit screen itself
- Added advanced search for Events, States and List Dialogs (including variable select and other Tasker ones)
- Added tip about List Dialog action when using the Menu action
- Tell root users that they can use Run Shell instead of ADB WiFi
- When adding If or For actions, give user the option to automatically add other appropriate actions (else, end if, end for).
- Automatically focus in the variable field in the If action so that you can select a variable right away without first clicking on the field
- Automatically focus task entry text box when creating a new task
- Changed %evtprm(1) for File Modified event from the path that is being monitored to the path of the actual file that changed
- When a variable’s value is an empty String it’ll now be considered a not set variable by Tasker in any condition in the app
- Changed how ADB Wifi is checked before running an action that needs it so it works better
- Made searching Action list even easier by allowing partial matches on each word
- Made Take Call action work on Android Versions prior to Oreo
- Made Kill App action use ADB Wifi if available and warn users that ADB Wifi can be used
- Made %evtprm(1) (file path) in File Modified event be url decoded so it can be used right away
- Made cancel option in Task edit screen always visible
- Changed main Tasker notification when no profiles are active to show the total number of existing and enabled profiles
- Make “Input Dialog” and “Text Dialog” able to receive newlines in its configuration directly
- Made Draw Over Other apps notification show current app name (instead of Tasker) on kid apps
- Make dialog that shows up when exiting Tasker not dismissable
- Don’t ask to grant adb wifi permissions with root
- Made map that shows in Get Location v2 action when you pick your initial location to show a hybrid map
- Don’t allow new task names with the ‘%’ character in their names
- When inputting app factory certificate password make input field hide characters
- Fixed long standing File Modified Event bug where sometimes it would break is some situations.
- Fixed sending email to support with bad-formatted text in some situations
- Fix situation where in the “ADB Wifi” action if you let it enable debugging sometimes the action would fail
- Fixed “Follow Redirects” option in “HTTP Request” action which was always enabled independently of what was chosen
- Fixed Dark Mode detection in some cases
- Fixed situation where disable time based profiles were being taken into account when determining Tasker’s next wake up time
- Show all activities when long clicking an app in the Launch App action instead of just some
- Fixed %caller variable when enter and exit tasks of a profile would call the same task very quickly
- Fixed showing maximum possible screen brightness when setting up the Display Brightness action on some devices
- Fixed taking screenshots on Android 10, shouldn’t show the prompt on the screenshot anymore
- Fixed HTTP Request action when a gzipped response was gotten. Now automatically unzips it
- Fixed automatic redirections in HTTP Request action in some cases
- Fixed issues with clipboard getting while in the background
- Fixed using Launch Last App action with Tasker Secondary
- Fixed Cooldown time not working for Steps event based profiles
- Fixed Task rename dialog inside Task edit screen when you enter an invalid value
- Fixed Tasker being blocked in some situations when using Map related scene actions
- Fixed Tasker crashing if you cancel the helper dialog in “Any Sensor” conditions
- Made easy service commands work in the Run Shell action
- Correctly handle multi-SIMS where SIM cards have the same name
- Fixed writing HTTP Request body in some situations
- Fixed local variables in Get Voice action
- Made Get Sims action in Tasker Function action request the READ_PHONE_STATE permission
- When an online help file can’t be reached only offer to email support about it if user has a working internet connection
- Added Biometric permission to kid apps if needed
- Made ADB Wifi request the INTERNET permission so kid apps can work with it
- Fixed bug that said that wrong type argument when editing the Calendar Insert action
- Fixed bug where sometimes if you changed your phone’s orientation at the wrong time it could cause app checking to stop working
- Fixed bug where converting time to seconds and back to time could result in wrong value
- Fixed using the write function in the Keyboard action in some special cases
- Fixed issue with Keyboard action sometimes getting stuck on the Tasker keyboard
- Tried to make Tasker only check for root access if root actions are used
- Fixed bug where if Music Play action is used without the option to continue right away and then Music Stop was used before the song was done the task would get stuck forever
- Fixed bug with File Attribute Changed variables
- Fixed issue when restoring backup with a Tasker lock pin present
- Fixed setting animation in Show Scene action config
- Fixed moving files in some situations
- Fixed File Closed event
- Fixed crash on startup in some situations
- Fixed some crashes