Tasker 5.9.4 beta adds support for customizing Android 11’s power menu controls
If you consider yourself an Android power user, you have very likely already heard about Tasker. And you have also heard about Android 11 and its Power Menu Device Controls. With Android 11, Google has changed the options that appear when you long-press the power button, now presenting a new UI and smart home device controls for quick access. This is a great spot for adding shortcuts, but Google limits these shortcuts to just home controls. This is where Tasker comes in, as the latest beta adds in support for customing Android 11’s power menu controls.
Tasker developer joaomgcd was already working on integrating shortcuts within the power menu. Tasker 5.9.4 beta is a continuation of those efforts, now reaching in the hands of users as the previous test was not released for users. The major highlight of the update is the fact that you can add in Tasker tiles to the power menu as clickable buttons, and these tiles could trigger virtually any Tasker tasks that you could think of. These tiles could be simple buttons for calling a task on click, or be a toggle with on/off states, or be a toggle with progress states. The dev presented a quick demo wherein a button was created to trigger a screenshot task:
If you need even more control at your fingertips, you can use the “Power Menu Action” action in Tasker to create buttons with a given id, type, title, subtitle, icon, and command. This further lets you create buttons that can change throughout the day. The new update also brings in the Tasker Command System with the new Command Event and Command Action, letting users re-use tasks and avoid duplicity in tasks. Third-party commands are also supported.
Tasker v5.9.4 beta Changelog
The full changelog for this beta release is as below:
- Added Action “Power Menu Action” which allows you to create tiles for the Android 11+ Power Menu
- Added the “Power Menu Shown” event which triggers when the Power Menu screen is shown on Android 11+
- Added Power Menu tiles for every available task on Android 11+
- Added Action “Command” which allows you to trigger the “Command” event with the AutoApps Command System
- Added Event “Command” which can be triggered with the “Command” action
- Added ability for third party apps to send commands that trigger the “Command” event but they have to explicitly ask the user for a permission to do so
- Changed the dialog where you choose an icon so that it shows an icon for each option
- Added Phone Call permission to kid apps when they use Contact Via App action
- Added text option to Signal and Telegram messages in the “Contact Via App” action
- Added option to add to new project when importing a profile or task from Taskernet
- Fixed Termux command so it’s compatible with upcoming Termux release
- Fixed dialogs not cancelling when screen is rotated while they are showing
- Removed option to insert SMS into messaging database since it wasn’t possible to do that anymore
- Fixed crash when reading a file too large to be read
- Fixed copying/moving files with weird extensions to external SD cards
- Fixed a few crashes
You can sign up for the beta track on the Google Play Store, or sideload it yourself from the download link in the Reddit post.