Tasker Day #3: Automatic 2G Toggle, TWRP Backups, Driving Mode, and More!
The third day of Tasker Week is coming to a close, and we’ve featured a bunch of neat tasks to make your smartphone life much easier. The beauty of Tasker is that it has endless possibilities, with the ability to create a Task for just about anything.
There are many cool features and plenty of functionality we wish our phones had, and depending on your ROM, you might not get them all. Custom ROMs and Xposed add a lot to play with, but Tasker also lets you do surprising amounts of automation, customization and feature-creation without any flashing or system hooks.
Here are today’s featured Tasker scripts, all adding useful and convenient functionality to any Android phone!
- Switch to 2G when Connected to WiFi: It’s no secret that cellphone radios are among the biggest killers of your battery life. Among the worst offenders is the LTE radio, which is not as efficient as the 2G HSPA radio. Now, when you’re connected to WiFi, no data is actually being transmitted however your phone still utilizes the LTE radio for connecting to your carrier’s cell tower for calls/texts rather than the more efficient 2G HSPA radio. If you have poor LTE signal in your area, you can turn off the LTE radio while you’re on WiFi to squeeze some extra battery life out of your phone.
- Weekly TWRP Backups: It’s good practice to run a full backup of your ROM and user data every once in awhile, in case you flash something and get into a bootloop. Thanks to TWRP’s scripting capabilities, we can trigger a weekly backup.
- 3-in-1: Driving Mode (Answer Calls, Texts, Read Notifs): If you don’t have a bluetooth speaker in your car capable of answering phone calls or texts, and if you drive a lot you’ll find yourself needing a way to respond to important messages without distracting yourself too much. Thanks to Tasker, you can make it so that you are prompted to respond to calls/texts and read notifications.
BONUS: Here are some of the profiles that the community have come up with
- Five Awesome Things You Can Do With Tasker Right Now: including 1) Keep Screen on when using Reading Apps; 2)Put your phone in silent mode by turning your phone upside down; 3) Turn android lockscreen off in trusted locations; 4)Night mode or Quiet time; 5) Lock phone by shaking
- CHANGE MUSIC BY WAVING: Previous & Next song! This will basically change your music tracks (previous and next) by waving your hand
- Automate Theater Mode on your watch when you arrive at some place
- Read SMS Aloud & Respond by Voice When Connected to Car Bluetooth
- Sync Google Account 30 Minutes Before Alarm
- Always Ring For A Specific Contact
- Backup/Restore/Import/Export your Profiles, Tasks, Scenes & Vars
Those are our featured tasks for the day. We’ll be continuing tomorrow with some highly advanced tasks we’ve come across in the Tasker world! If you love Android’s openness, customization, and potential, and if you also like getting your hands dirty, Tasker week is the perfect time of the year to geek out!
Feel free to check out and comment in any of the threads we listed; suggestions and discussion is welcome! If you need Tasker, you can find it on the Play Store. Also, if you know of any nice Task we should feature, drop a comment or send us a PM. Finally, be sure to check out the Tasker Tips & Tricks member-led forum for more awesome Tasker content, by the community for the community!
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.