Vivo X21, X21 UD, NEX S, and NEX A get an Android Pie beta in China
As one year ends and another year begins, manufacturers are pushing out Android Pie updates to a plethora of devices. Vivo, the Chinese phone maker, is launching a closed beta of Android Pie for four phones: the Vivo X21, Vivo X21 UD, Vivo NEX S, and Vivo NEX A. This beta will allow a small number of users in China to try out FunTouch OS 4.5 (based on Android Pie).
Vivo already started recruiting testers on December 24th. A new wave of recruitment will open on January 2nd and run through the 6th. Previously, Vivo said they would start rolling out Android Pie in Q4. Seeing as how they are just starting a closed beta, they missed their deadline. Final builds likely won’t be ready for a few weeks. Here are some of the (translated) features available in this update:
- Jovi Smart Voice Assistant: the new assistant can help you perform local commands kind of like Bixby.
- Jovi Wisdom Scene: Contextual actions and reminders
- Jovi Wisdom Map: Identify objects with the phone’s camera. Use it to translate text, identify objects, or research topics.
- Smart Desktop: a feed of cards for weather, shortcuts, Jovi smart scenes, taxis, and more.
- iHousekeeper: a memory cleaning app with improved cleaning
- iTheme: A points system earns points on your vivo account to earn themes.
The full changelog can be found at the source link below. You will also find the registration APK at the link, which is what you need to install on your Vivo X21, Vivo X21 UD, Vivo NEX S, or Vivo NEX A to participate in the beta.