Xiaomi EU releases unofficial MIUI 10 for Xiaomi devices
As surprising as it may be, Xiaomi devices are known for having an active development scene here on the XDA forums. Most of the custom development on Xiaomi phones that users come to our forums for is related to AOSP-based custom ROMs like LineageOS, CarbonROM, Pixel Experience, Resurrection Remix, and more. Fans of Xiaomi’s MIUI may know of Xiaomi EU, a ROM that doesn’t reside on our forums. While the name may make you think it’s official, Xiaomi EU is actually an unofficial project that releases MIUI builds for many Xiaomi devices. Today, they’ve released their MIUI 10 builds for many devices like the Xiaomi Mi 6, Xiaomi Mi 8, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro, and more.
Xiaomi EU is a custom ROM based on MIUI China Developer ROM. The custom ROM includes all of the features from stock MIUI but also includes a few of their own tweaks to unlock hidden features or improve upon existing features. Also, they integrate Google Play apps and services by default and include more languages apart from Mandarin and English so more people can live on the bleeding edge of Xiaomi’s MIUI.
Currently, Xiaomi EU’s MIUI 10 release is available for a handful of devices. These devices are:
- Xiaomi Mi 5
- Xiaomi Mi 6
- Xiaomi Mi 8
- Xiaomi Mi 8 SE
Xiaomi Mi Mix
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2
- Xiaomi Redmi 5
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Here’s the changelog provided by the Xiaomi.EU developer team for the MIUI 10 China Developer ROM 8.6.19 release:
MIUI 10 China Developer ROM 8.6.19 Changelog
- Improved and more convenient full screen gestures
- New UI optimised for full screen experience (Mix, Mix 2, Mix 2S etc.) (Other devices will look visually refreshed too!)
- New system sounds inspired by the sounds of Nature
- System sounds are filtered / simplified
- New Ambient noises: You can choose between forest, beach, summer night, stove fire and drizzle.
- Smart alarms with weather info
- Mi AI machine learning program
- Improved swipe response
- Suggestions for connecting to nearby devices
- Revamped Clock, Notes, and other system apps
- Fix – Issues with face unlock (06-14)
And here’s a list of features offered by the Xiaomi EU ROMs that aren’t found in the MIUI Global Developer ROMs.
Xiaomi EU Features on top of MIUI China Developer ROM
- Based on China Stable / Weekly builds (except HMNote3SE)
- Enabled search gesture (swipe up) on the desktop
- Enabled MiDrive in File Explorer
- Added landscape mode for SMS app
- Sunrise/Sunset in the weather app
- Google apps support integrated
- Importing theme from zhuti.xiaomi.com via ThemeManager
- No useless Chinese bloatware apps
- More free RAM due to less background processes
- Unified flat style app icons for both system and 3rd party apps (eg. Play Store icon flat too, unlike official global MIUI)
- Advanced menu with color icons (not just text like in official MIUI releases)
- No any Chinese character under the full system
- Mi Video, Mi Music, Mi Radio, Mi Browser: No any useless Chinese content
- No possibility to re-lock bootloader accidentally with flash any xiaomi.eu release
- Added real 27 languages translation made by Official MIUI Fansites and MIUI Fans
- Added EU T9 dialer support
- Added charging sound switch
- Added Spell Checker switch
- Added Screen-OFF animation
- Optimized GPS settings for EU
- Optimized Battery consumption
- Optimized RAM consumption
- Added OIS auto-calibration for MI5
- Added 4k Video support for MI4C, MI4S, HMNote3Pro, HMNote3SE, HMNote4X
- Added 3D Touch to MI5S 3GB RAM version
- Added GSMalphabet into SMS app
- Added more icons grid layout 4×5, 4×6, 5×5, 5×6
- Added Toggles 5×3 layout
- SafetyNet passed (Android Pay)
- Play Store Certified
- Added automated tasks
- Added game speed booster
- Added erase module (magic elimination) to Gallery photo edit options
- Fixed low volume sound via headphone
- Fixed Google assistant voice response issue
- And more, and more made by our 5 years MIUI mods experience.
How to Install Xiaomi EU’s MIUI 10 ROM
- To install Xiaomi EU’s custom ROM onto your device, you’ll need a bootloader unlocked device. To unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi device, follow this link.
- Next, you need to install TWRP on your device. Just head to the official website of the custom recovery, find your device, and download the img file. We recommend you rename the file to twrp.img.
- You will need adb and fastboot tools for next commands. Download and install them according to this guide. Put platform-tools folder on your desktop and move twrp.img into the same folder.
- On your phone, go to Settings > About and tap on build number 7 times.
- Go to Developer settings and enable USB debugging.
- Connect your device to your PC. Open up Command prompt or Terminal on your computer.
- Execute commands
- Now execute
adb reboot bootloader. (Windows Powershell users may need to add a .\ before the command. Mac/Linux users may need to add a ./)
fastboot flash recovery twrp.imgOR
fastboot boot twrp.img. You can see which one of them is required for your device on your device’s page on TWRP’s official website. (Windows Powershell users may need to add a .\ before the command. Mac/Linux users may need to add a ./)
- Now that TWRP is installed, power up your phone.
- Download the MIUI 10 Xiaomi EU ROM for your particular device and move it to your internal storage.
- Open Updater app, tap on three-dot menu and choose Reboot to Recovery.
- Go to Wipe section and Swipe to factory reset.
- Go to Install section and choose the ROM we downloaded later.
- Now reboot your device and that’s it!
Let us know in the comments if you’re fond of the Xiaomi EU custom ROM. Do you prefer it over an AOSP-based custom ROM?Source: Xiaomi EU
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.