Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 finally gets its MIUI 12 update with Android 10
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 was released last year alongside the Redmi Note 8 Pro and MIUI 11 for India. While the Redmi Note 8 Pro hogged all the limelight thanks to the gaming-focused MediaTek Helio G90T, the Redmi Note 8 flew under the radar for playing it safe with the Snapdragon 665, despite our review praising the phone. If you purchased the phone, here’s some good news for you: the Redmi Note 8 is finally receiving Android 10, and it comes along with MIUI 12 update.
The Redmi Note 8 launched in India with MIUI 10 based on Android 9 Pie. A bit after launch, the phone received its stable MIUI 11 update. While many other Xiaomi phones have received their MIUI 12 stable updates already, the Redmi Note 8 finally gets it on the Global region. The phone did previously get MIUI 12 based on Android 10, but the update was restricted to the Chinese region.
Keep in mind that this update is still considered as “stable-beta”. Stable-beta updates are only intended for users enrolled within the Mi Pilot beta testing program, meaning that builds assigned for this group will not install on devices with Mi Accounts that do not have the requisite permission. Once the Mi Pilot beta testers give positive feedback, the same build then gets opened up as a stable release, creating a lot of confusion — the same build might first fail to install, but then it will make an appearance through the official OTA. If you get the error message that the update is for closed beta testers only, you can sideload the update through TWRP. If Xiaomi finds that there are no showstopper bugs, the update will be opened up for all Redmi Note 8 users without any changes.
The changelog for this update is as follows:
- Stable MIUI based on Android 10
- Updated Android Security Patch to September 2020. Increased system security
While the changelog is not very long, this is an important update. It brings along all the changes that MIUI 12 brings along, as well as all of the changes that Android 10 brought along under-the-hood.
MIUI 12 Full Changelog
- System animations
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- System visuals
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- Privacy protection
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
- New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
- New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy. Optimization: Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
- AI Call Assistant
- New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- Xiaomi Health
- New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
- New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- Control center
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
- New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
- New: You can track your previous trips now.
- New: Checklists for trips.
- New: Alarms for train arrivals.
- Mi Carrier Services
- New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
- New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
- New: Buy SIM cards and services.
- New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
- Status bar, Notification shade
- New: All-new design.
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features upfront.
- File Manager
- New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
- New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
- New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
- New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
- Xiaomi Cloud
- New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
Thanks to XDA Recognized Developer yshalsager for the download link!