YouTube HQ Hack for Nexus One
The default YouTube app on the Nexus One, now has the option to watch videos in HQ – even on 3G. However this requires a few button clicks and a wait whilst the video is rebuffered for the HQ version. So wouldn’t it be great if YouTube would default to HQ when on 3G? XDA forum member reddv1 has provided a hacked YouTube app to do this!
Originally posted by reddv1
Here is how you hack YouTube to default into HQ:
- 1. Put the youtube.apk on your sdcard.
- 2. Get Root Explorer from the Market.
- 3. Using Root Explorer, navigate to the sdcard folder and long press on the youtube.apk and click “Move”
- 4. Navigate to the /system/app folder
- 5. Click the button up top that says “Remount as R/W”
- 6. Click the button on the bottom that says “Paste” then confirm overwrite.
- 7. Now you need to set the permissions on that file: Long press on the youtube.apk and click Permissions. Check User Read and Write, Group Read, and Others Read. Uncheck everything else and click Ok.
- 8. Click the button up top that says “Remount as R/O”
- 9. Reboot, you’re done
This works with most ROMS, but be sure to always back up your original apk file.