Download YouTube Vanced APK for your Android smartphone [Discontinued]
YouTube Vanced used to be a popular modded version of YouTube. It added a number of features to the official YouTube app, including built-in adblocking, background playback, black/dark themes, and much more. However, note that YouTube Vanced has been discontinued as of March 13, 2022. You can check out other recommended YouTube Vanced alternatives. The article below remains for archival purposes.
Navigate this article:
- Last version
- How to install
- YouTube Vanced Features
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Last version of YouTube Vanced
The last version of YouTube Vanced is 17.03.38. The changelog can be found below:
Changelog for YouTube Vanced 17.03.38
- Main changes:
- Bumped base
- ReturnYouTubeDislike integration
- Channel whitelisting for video ads
- Improved ad-blocking
- Comments location (alpha) has been removed (because Google pushed new comments to tablet UI)
- Added tablet style under swipe controls for partially disabling recommended videos in landscape mode and other tablet styled UI
- Added support for themed icon (Android 13+)
- Sponsorblock changes:
- Added support for channel whitelisting (see the “Channel whitelisting” toggle in sb settings)
- Added support for setting the minimum segment duration
- Added the filler category
- Replaced the “Change colors” button with a text field inside of each category’s setting
- 403 messages (warns, locked video/segment) will now be properly displayed
- Added an option to enable SB browser button.
- Option to change the API URL
How to install YouTube Vanced Non-root variant
Using Vanced Manager
The YouTube Vanced team had created a new, easier method for getting Vanced up and running. Users could simply install the Vanced Manager app and it would have facilitated the process of installing MicroG and YouTube Vanced. Support for Vanced Music, i.e., a similarly modded version of YouTube Music has also been there since version 1.3.0. The app makes it easy to choose which theme you want and to install future updates.
- Download the latest Vanced Manager from here on your Android device. Note that since Vanced is discontinued, you may not be able to find the latest Vanced Manager app. Please be careful of what you download and install on your device.
- Install the app and open it.
- Make sure to select “nonroot” during the initial configuration wizard.
- Tap “Install” next to MicroG.
- Follow the instructions to allow installing from unknown apps.
- MicroG will download and then you’ll tap “Install” when it’s ready.
- Next, tap “Install” next to Vanced.
- Select your preferred theme and tap “NEXT”.
- Select your preferred language and tap “FINISH”.
- Vanced will download and you’ll tap “Install” when it’s ready.
While Vanced Manager remained the recommended method for installing and managing the modded YouTube instance, power users may like to have more control over the installation process. In case you wanted to install YouTube Vanced without using Vanced Manager, you needed to follow the steps mentioned below:
How To Install without Vanced Manager
- Install the latest Vanced MicroG APK if you want to log in with your YouTube/Google account.
- Find the suitable YouTube Vanced APK components for the target device and download them.
- Install the set of APKs using Split APKs Installer (SAI). You can download SAI from its GitHub repo, F-Droid, or Google Play Store.
Note for Huawei/Honor users
Starting from v0.2.12-203316, Vanced MicroG had a special “Huawei” button in the login wizard. If you were running a Huawei (and Honor) device that doesn’t come with Google Play Services by default but you sideloaded them later, you could still log in to your YouTube/Google account while using Vanced modded apps using that option.
YouTube Vanced Features
- Ability to blocks all videos ads.
- Optional AMOLED black theme to reduce eye and battery strain.
- Allows you to play videos in the background or in Picture in Picture (only on Android 8.0 Oreo and up).
- Swipe controls allow you to control brightness and volume like how it is in other video player apps (with configurable padding).
- Auto-repeat feature to enjoy videos like tiktoks/vines or simply continue playing a song on loop.
- Vanced allows you to override codec options (such as forcing H.264 for old devices)
- You can also force HDR playback or turn off 60fps if you prefer a cinematic experience with custom device configs.
- Force the default video resolution as high or low as you want and even override your screen resolution (e.g. 4K playback on any device).
- Change the default playback speed to anywhere between 0.25x to 2x.
- Allows you to toggle home ads, most UI ads, merchandise ads, community posts, movie upselling, compact banner info, remove comments entirely, compact movie, movie shelf removal and many more!
- Full integration with SponsorBlock so that you can skip sponsor segments, i.e. a YouTuber advertises a service or product in the middle of a video.
- Supports skipping other categories, such as intros, outros, and reminders to subscribe.
- Complete control over whether to automatically skip a segment category or show a button for skipping, or simply just not skipping it at all.
- Highlights the segment in the specific color based on its category in the playback timeline.
- Possible to submit your own segments to the SponsorBlock API and contribute to the wider community.
YouTube Vanced: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you had planned on ditching the stock YouTube app in favor of Vanced, you might have some doubts about certain aspects of this mod that you want to be clarified. Listed below are several frequently asked questions about Vanced — right from the difference between the non-root and the root variants to downloading videos. If you don’t find the answer to your question here, feel free to leave it in the comments section below and if it’s relevant, we’ll answer it and add it to this section.
Which Vanced variant should I choose: Root or Non-root?
Root variant: The root variant of Vanced seamlessly replaces the official YouTube app. As a result, you can directly open YouTube links or call them using Google assistant through the modded app.
Non-root variant: However, if you have a device that is difficult to root, or you don’t want to root your daily driver in the first place, you should opt for the non-root variant. It can be installed on a rooted device as well. Since the package name of the non-root variant is different from the stock YouTube app, they can co-exist.
Note that you need to install an additional companion app (MicroG) to be able to log in with your YouTube/Google account. Moreover, you have to manually set Vanced as the default app for opening YouTube links. However, the non-root variant is simply easier to live with, so our recommendation is to stick with the non-root variant unless you really need to replace the stock YouTube app on your phone.
Are Vanced and YouTube Premium the same?
No! YouTube Premium (formerly known as YouTube Red) is a subscription-based service offered by Google that provides ad-free access to content across the service, as well as access to premium YouTube Originals, downloading videos and background playback of videos on mobile devices, and access to the YouTube Music music streaming service.
Vanced, on the other hand, is a highly modded version of the stock YouTube app which doesn’t require any kind of subscription. However, it does come with a lot of features like ad blocking, background playback, and many more that are otherwise not accessible without a YouTube Premium subscription.
Can I download videos using Vanced?
Google officially allows downloading videos from YouTube for offline viewing in these countries. Thereby, you need to purchase YouTube Premium or use a third-party app to download videos if you’re not in one of the supported countries.
Vanced itself doesn’t modify the downloader YouTube implemented. As a result, you might not get the download option for some videos, depending on your region and the restrictions imposed by the video publisher.
How do I disable battery optimization for Vanced and MicroG for Vanced?
There’s no standard method to disable battery optimization for a particular app on Android, as different OEMs implement the module in their skins in different ways. Since the steps and workflow vary from OEM to OEM, it would be better to check out our forums to find a suitable guide for your device.
YouTube Vanced was no doubt a very useful mod. It was fairly simple to use and you could have access to a multitude of exciting extra functionality to your YouTube viewing experience.