ZTE Axon 7’s Android Oreo beta update has been leaked
The ZTE Axon 7‘s Android Oreo update is finally here, although you’ll have to jump through some hoops to get it. A developer on our forums has managed to get their hands on a leaked build of the closed Android Oreo beta for the device, and he is providing it for all users to install.
Screenshots via: XDA Member Victor13f
ZTE Axon 7’s update history:
- The ZTE Axon 7 was released in 2016 with Android Marshmallow. It was a sleeper hit of 2016 thanks to its high-end specifications at a mid-range price, much like the device it competed directly against: the OnePlus 3.
- The device was upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat, which also happened to bring Daydream VR support thanks to the Axon 7 sporting a Quad HD AMOLED display.
- In December, ZTE promised that the official Android 8.0 Oreo update was “right around the corner.” The update would reportedly feature a UI revamp that takes more cues from stock Android rather than MiFavor, ZTE’s flavor of Android. Later in February, the company opened a beta program in the U.S.
- Behind the scenes, ZTE was quietly working with some developers of LineageOS to give them a head start on bringing up LineageOS 15.1 for the device.
- Last month, the U.S. government barred American companies from exporting prohibited goods to ZTE. This effectively crippled the company, and the future of software support for their existing devices came into question.
An Android Oreo leak to save the day: With ZTE’s business operations effectively dead, it seems like there’s no hope for Axon 7 owners to receive the Android Oreo update they were promised. However, XDA Senior Member NFound, a developer for the AOSP Extended custom ROM, has released the beta Android 8.0 Oreo build for the device. He has provided the update in the form of a TWRP-flashable build, which means you’ll need to unlock the bootloader of the device to flash it. He has also created a video showing off the build, for those of you who want to see what to expect before you go down this path.